Tuesday, April 19, 2011

On Thirty For Thirty

In which we reflect back upon lessons learned.

I turned thirty at the end of March. Over the last three decades (ugh) I've learned a lot of things. Here are thirty things I've learned1.

  1. Most things in life that we worry about aren't worth worrying about.
  2. Sometimes the things you are good at are not the things you thought you would be good at.
  3. Don't grab a ring stand that has been been under a Bunsen burner for 30 minutes.
  4. Always bet on black2.
  5. x=\frac{-b \pm \sqrt {b^2-4ac}}{2a},
  6. My parents really did know what they were talking about.
  7. Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start3.
  8. I regret more the things I didn't do, or say, than those I did.
  9. When a majority of your friends tell you something is a bad idea, it is.
  10. How to play the guitar.
  11. It's way too easy to let friends slip away.
  12. My sister and I spent too much time not liking each other.
  13. I should have thought through this list before I started it.
  14. That you need to diversify your resources or you will be unable to build anything.
  15. I'm no good at talking on the phone.
  16. What timshel means.
  17. How to do a mail merge to make address labels on Word.
  18. How to draw this guy.
  19. How to drive a manual transmission car.
  20. Food you cook yourself almost always test better.
  21. The journey is more important that the destination, but you should have a destination in mind.
  22. I don't give myself enough credit.
  23. How to write in cursive, twice4.
  24. The twists to a bunch of movies I've never seen5.
  25. I'm a nine, probably with an eight wing.
  26. The states in alphabetical order.
  27. That I'm really good at the Kevin Bacon game.
  28. Why the chicken crossed the road.
  29. That I don't know nearly as much as I think I do.
  30. I really enjoy writing.
__________________________________________________________
1 In no particular order.
2 Thank you Wesley Snipes.
3 Boom. Thirty lives.
4 I re-taught myself in grad school.
5 e.g. what soylent green is.

4 comments:

  1. And, really, #25 explains all the rest...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah hahaha, that one was put there just for you, I do want your opinion on the wing, the 8 is Carrie's theory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah --- actually my initial thought when I read that was "Oh no way - he's totally a 1 wing" but the more I thought about it the more I can totally see both! Generally, I lean towards 1-wing more. But we can discuss!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! Double wing all the way. Also, no more joking around, 24 needs to happen and happen soon.

    ReplyDelete